Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fantasy Camp - Day Four

Thursday was a fun day, because all of the campers got to play against the Alumni.
Each camper team played a three-inning scrimmage against the Alumni. Aaron's red team played the second scrimmage of the morning, losing to the Alumni 1-0.
Aaron batted third against Royals Hall of Famer, Dennis Leonard. In a 3-1 fastball on the corner, he flew out to right. He played shortstop for all three innings but unfortunately didn't have a ball hit to him. After the game, the red team had their pictures taken with the Alumni.

In unfortunate news, Marty Pattin was up to bat this afternoon and tore his hamstring at the plate. Ouch!

I think I've mentioned there will be a DVD of this whole shebang coming out in a few weeks. We upgraded to the personalized version, which includes an interview with John Worden. They did the interview today, and I can't wait to see it. He's keeping tight-lipped about what they talked about!

Lunch today was catered by a huge chuckwagon. They barbecued briskets, chicken wings, etc and Aaron said it was great. After lunch, Aaron had a few extra minutes so he gave me a call. We spoke shortly, then he put me on hold. A moment later, an unfamiliar voice said "Hey Amy, what's going on?" It was none other than my favorite Royal, JOE RANDA! I was totally shocked and probably sounded like a silly girl on the phone with him. LOL! I told him I missed him playing at 3rd base, to which he replied "I miss it too, but I don't think I can beat Alex Gordon out of a job." I let him know that I would vote for him any day over that silly Alex Gordon! What a fun surprise...definitely the highlight of my week.

Today's present is super cool...an authentic MLB baseball autographed by all of the Alumni. How cool is THAT! There is an autograph session tomorrow, but it's really neat to have all of their signatures in one place.

The afternoon started with another trip to the training room and another cold bath. Aaron dried off, grabbed a bottle of Gatorade and a bag of sunflower seeds (ALSO UNLIMITED in the clubhouse, along with bubblegum, pumpkin seeds, etc) and watched the second set of Alumni scrimmages of the day.

Dinner tonight was with the red team and its coaches at a local Italian joint. Everyone got a chance to talk about their experiences of the week and what it has meant to them. Aaron ate sausage lasagna, which wasn't his best choice of the week since he upchucked it about four times before leaving the parking lot. Oooops! Luckily his great teammates waited for him and made sure he got back to the hotel safely. It's going to be an early night for AP...

On tap for tomorrow: one more round robin game, then the Championship Game! Red team has already qualified, as they are the only remaining undefeated team in the round robin. Also, tomorrow will include the autograph session and awards banquet to end the week.

No comments: