Monday, February 4, 2008

...and he's off!



This morning at 5am, Aaron started his journey to Royals Fantasy Camp in Surprise, Arizona. For those of you who don't know about it, this is Aaron's 30th birthday present from me.


Two summers ago, he asked "Honey, if we ever win the lottery, can I go to Fantasy Camp?" so I started saving...it took me a year...but in my mind, this is such a small price to pay to make his dreams come true!


He will be at the Royals' training facility until Saturday and will be treated just like a Royal all week, including his own authentic uniforms, baseball cards, locker, etc. Additionally, he will be playing alongside and be coached by former Royals players!


Fast forward to this morning: Aaron couldn't sleep last night but got out of bed with a shot at 4:30am. After a stop at QuikTrip for donuts and Gatorade (breakfast of champions), we sped through the fog like there was no tomorrow. Aaron was so excited to get into the terminal building that he forgot whether we should go up or down on the elevator...so we went both ways!

At the airport we saw George Brett, Fred White, Joe Randa, Al Fitzmorris, and more. I asked Aaron if he was starstruck and he said "Yep, a little bit!"

His flight left at 6:30 and he landed around 9am Arizona time. At the baggage carousel, he ran into former Royal John Mayberry, whom he had met at his orientation. Immediately, John said "Hey, big hitter!" Aaron said "You haven't seen me play yet..." and John Mayberry replied, "No, but I have heard about YOU!"

This is going to be an awesome week! Aaron is going to call me with recaps every night and I'll be sure to post to the blog about everything. When he gets back Saturday night, we'll post the pictures he took!

Happy Monday:)

3 comments:

Steve said...

I won't even tell Steve about Aaron going : ) He would definitely be jealous. Although he would rather just watch all the old guys instead of trying to play with them : )
(no idea why I"m signed in as Steve and not me)

Steve said...

Oh, sorry that comment was from me your fave fellow KM teacher, Laura!!

neece300 said...

Please let him know how excited we are for him! What an awesome b-day present!!!