Sunday, April 13, 2008

30 Week Update


Sorry this has taken so long to post! We are on the downhill slope...10 weeks to go!
It has been one of the harder months emotionally, as I found out a few weeks ago I have gestational diabetes. This can affect the size of the baby and I've been put on a strict diet, along with the requirement to test my blood between 4-7 times daily. Having GD has nothing to do with any eating habits or behaviors I had before - it just has to do with the way my hormones are reacting to the pregnancy. Still, I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that something was "wrong." Since then, I've seen a dietitian, diabetic nurse, my OB twice, and a perinatologist, and they are all thrilled with how well I'm doing on the diet and with my levels. I feel great - honestly, the way I'm eating right now is the way everyone should eat on a regular basis. In the grand scheme of things, I am very lucky to be having such an easy pregnancy.
This month, I gained three pounds but lost it right back due to the new (read: NO ICE CREAM) diet. I'm measuring at 30cm and right now am still scheduled for a mid-June arrival! At 36 weeks, I'll have another ultrasound to measure the size of the baby and make sure s/he is not getting too big. At that point, they'll be able to update my due date if needed.
Things are really starting to come together...we've started on the nursery (pics soon) and organizing all of the wonderful gifts we've received. With each passing day, I am more and more thankful for an amazing husband, four incredible parents, wonderful siblings and extended family, and cherished friends and piano/Kindermusik families. I am blessed that you are here to share in this miracle with me!!!

No comments: