Tuesday, June 3, 2008

38 Week Update

It has been 8 weeks since my last pictures - oops! Time has flown!



I don't even know where to start!

My gestational diabetes is well under control and I was released from the perinatologist after only two visits. Dr. Heit is very happy with my progress and as of today, I'm two pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.

The only side effect I've been having is my feet swelling at night. Aaron's nicknames for me are "Michelin Man" and "Cankles." LOL! Luckily once I go to bed, the next morning I am back to normal. Then the whole process starts over again and I'm puffed up by mid-afternoon. My Crocs are even too tight! I have switched to the Crocs flip-flops (in pink and orange, my favorite colors) and they are great.

We're at the OB's office twice a week right now - Tuesdays are for checkups with Dr. Heit and non-stress tests; Fridays are for non-stress tests. Basically, I have a heart monitor placed on my belly for 20 minutes while they measure heart rate and activity levels. Sometimes Nugget cooperates and moves and shakes the whole time...other times, the nurse breaks out the COWBELL (yes, you read that right...I am waiting for Christopher Walken to appear at any moment) and basically tries to disturb the baby as much as possible to make him/her move. It's fun to hear the heartbeat for that long and we've been passing our tests with flying colors each time.

Nugget's favorite activities include hiccups about 4 times a day, and pushing his or her little butt up as far into my ribs as possible! It's too funny - out of the blue I'll have this mound rise up out of my belly for a few minutes, then sink back down.

Today we had an ultrasound to determine Nugget's size. Since moms with gestational diabetes can make really.big.babies, they've been keeping a close eye on us. It was so awesome to see Nugget's little face - definitely looking like a BABY now and not a weird alien life form:



The top picture is a profile with hand up by the mouth. The bottom picture is head-on - hopefully you can see those sweet chubby cheeks!! The ultrasound indicated that Nugget currently weighs 7 pounds, 6 ounces and the head is about 12" in circumference. Sounds big, huh!? Well, that size is the 54th percentile, so s/he is a totally average-sized baby. More than likely, we're looking at about 8.5 pounds at birth.

Speaking of, if I haven't gone into labor by the 17th (which at this point is probably what will happen - I'm 50% effaced but not dilated at all), we'll check into the hospital Monday evening the 16th and I'll be induced Tuesday morning the 17th at 7am. I'll keep you posted!

All in all, I can't tell you what a great experience this has been. We've really been blessed with an easy pregnancy and it's much more fun than I thought it would be! Coming soon are nursery pictures (Uncle Mike, thanks for your patience!)

Lots of love from all of the APs!

3 comments:

Missy said...

How much you're dialted/effaced doesn't really give any indication of whether you'll deliver soon. You can go around 3 cm dialated for weeks or go from nothing to everything in a day. You just tell that baby it's time to come out. Maybe Nugget will be more cooperative than Sophie (who refused to come out when I told her to).

Tiffany said...

amy i am so happy for you and i am thrilled that all is going well.

neece300 said...

Go with your instincts - I was right both times. (Adam was induced one day early & Emily came early, just as I predicted.) I am so thrilled for you that you have been able to keep your weight down! You go girl - and Nugget! :)

Love ya!